At St. Mary’s we recognize that parents are the primary educators of their children, and we encourage you to be involved with the school in substantial ways. Parent involvement and volunteerism build and strengthen our school community. Parents regularly help with special projects, various classroom activities, sacramental preparation, as homeroom parents, library aides, and as chaperones.
By becoming actively involved in St. Mary’s School of Piscataway, parents demonstrate to their children that they and their education are important. Our school depends on the generous giving of time and resources by our parents.
All adults who volunteer and work with or around children, in the school or for other approved school and parish-sponsored activities, must comply with the Child Protection Policy of the Archdiocese of Washington. For these volunteers, this includes but is not limited to the following:
- Complete Volunteer Application Form
- Criminal History Record Check by the Federal Bureau of Investigations and the State of Maryland
- Fingerprinting through the Archdiocese of Washington
- Mandatory Attendance at a Virtus - Protecting God’s Children Training Session
We require all of our families to actively support the school by giving of their time, talent, and treasures. There are two components to this participation requirement: 30 hours of obligatory service and the Home and School Association (HSA) fundraising obligation.
Obligatory Service: Parents may fulfill this requirement by volunteering for approved school and parish associated activities and events. For convenience, a receipt system is in place for tracking obligatory service hours.
At the completion of service hours, we require individuals to:
- Complete the Obligatory Service Receipt form.
- It is your responsibility to ask the event chairperson to sign it.
- You must submit the original copy of this form to the school office.
- We use it for accounting purposes.
- Keep the carbon copy for your records.